Sunday, August 30, 2009

From a Child's Point of View

When working with some Kindergarten students this summer, I found myself jotting down these comments. Maybe you'll get a chuckle, too.

1. I was talking to the boys about how God parted the Red Sea for the Israelites. I was hoping they would be able to tell me that it was Moses that God used. I gave them prompts such as "He's a famous man from the Old Testament...". One boy replied, "David?". Before I could respond, another boy blurted out, "David Archuletta?".

2. We were outside for recess when one of the boys (same boy as mentioned above) needed to use the bathroom. So, I had to walk him into the school building. As we walked passed the ice arena, there was a full-sized Caterpillar tractor parked there. He saw its immense size and blurted out, "Wow! That tractor's bigger than my Grandma!".

3. The group of us were waiting for all the kids to arrive when the boys were talking about how old their parents are. One boy said that his dad was 48 years old. Someone misunderstood him and thought he said 14 years old to which the same boy as above replied, "Not 14! You can't be a parent until you're 48!".

4. I was tutoring a boy this summer who really struggles with school. I had a difficult assignment for him so I warned him ahead of time that I had something for him to do but it might be hard. He said with an exasperated look, "I know all about hard things: metal, rocks, brick.".

1 comment:

Diana said...

Haha this is so cute. "David?" another boy blurted out "david archuleta?" lol.